With the sun shining and waves crashing, San Diego is the place to be in the summer. But the fun doesn’t stop at sunset. Experience summer nights in San Diego with some of these suggested activities.
The Headquarters at Seaport
Along with its rich history, the Headquarters at Seaport has an eclectic blend of classically inspired architectural styles. It was the iconic former headquarters to the San Diego Police Department. You can also explore the shops and eateries located at the Seaport Village. Listed below are two evening activities hosted at The Headquarters.
Salsa Under the Stars
Dance the night away with Manny Cepeda and his orchestra in the Headquarters‘ Courtyard. This is a free event and no partner or experience is required. Take a spin on the dance floor just for the fun of it!
I Love SD Movie Series: Top Gun
Cinema Under the Stars is back this summer for our “I Love SD” movie series, starting with Almost Famous, followed by Anchor Man in August! Don’t forget your blankets and chairs, and have a night to remember.
Anchor Man: August 30, 2017 — 8PM
South Bay Drive-In
The South Bay Drive-In opened in 1958 and became a go to spot for families with kids and young adults looking for a memorable movie night under the stars. It is a real, old-fashioned drive-in movie theatre, with 3 screens, showing new releases, and is open seven days a week.
Kids 5-9: 7
You can even host your own event at the drive-in with double features and your own goodies! Groups must have a minimum of 20 guests at the adult admission price. Kindly allow 3 business days to schedule your event.
Humphreys by the Bay Concerts
Humphreys by the Bay Concerts is a San Diego tradition. Singing along to some of your favorite artists under the stars is a night you won’t want to miss. It’s located between Humphreys Restaurant and Humphreys Half Moon Inn. The 1,400 seat outdoor theatre has been presenting concerts that span the range of styles, from rock and jazz to comedy, blues, folk and international music since 1982, generally running from April to October.
- Humphreys was featured in Bring It On – The popular 2000 teen flick starring Kirsten Dunst was filmed at the Humphreys Hotel & Concerts By the Bay. The hotel was rebranded for the movie as “Tiki Adventure Suites” in “Daytona, Florida” for the National Championships.
- The chef has cooked for President Obama – Nicolas Bour has cooked for presidents and kings, including George W. Bush, King Hussein of Jordan, and Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia.
- John Stamos is a fan – Full House‘s Uncle Jesse frequently visits the hotel and has filmed various shows and movies scenes on the property.
- The venue was featured in the 2013 Oscar-winning documentary, 20 Feet from Stardom.
- Dinner Show Packages: $70 plus the price of the concert ticket, includes dinner (dishes from a Special Dinner Show menu) in Humphrey Restaurant and seating in rows 1 through 7 for the concert.
- Premium Packages: Prices vary for each show, includes dinner for two in Humphreys restaurant (dishes from a Special Dinner Show menu), two concert tickets in rows 1 through 4 for the concert and overnight accommodations for two in a suite, junior suite, or room at Humphreys Half Moon Inn & Suites.
- Rodrigo y Gabriela with special guest Joseph Arthur July 31, 2017 — 7:30PM60/ticket
- Huey Lewis and The News with special guest Liv Gibson August 1, 2017 — 7PM98/ticket
- Diana Krall August 8, 2017 — 8PM113.75/ticket
Your summer in San Diego isn’t complete without having a bonfire by the beach. Who wouldn’t want to listen to some music and roast s’mores under the stars? But if you’re visiting from out of town and not quite sure how to arrange one, Beach Fire Guy will set everything up and give you the ideal beach fire gathering.
The Old Globe
The stage is set! Witness stellar performances ranging from Shakespeare & classic musicals to first-run, modern plays. The Old Globe is one of the country’s leading regional theatre complexes, California’s oldest professional theatre and San Diego’s largest theatre organization. The Globe’s own Lady Carolyn’s Pub offers a full bar and a variety of soup, sandwiches and other scrumptious snacks. An additional perk the theatre provides is a behind the scenes tour. Folks will get a chance to uncover the magic that happens on stage.
Box office: (619) 234-5623
Nighttime Zoo presented by Your San Diego County Toyota Dealers
San Diego is the ideal location for a family vacation! Make your children’s day by taking them to the San Diego Zoo, home of 3,700 animals and over 650 species and subspecies. Don’t miss the opening of the Zoo’s newest experience: Conrad Prebys Africa Rocks. Come “rock and roar” this summer to live music and a variety of surprise encounters!
Balboa Park After Dark
Summer night done right! Balboa Park After Dark is offering extended hours. Until 8PM, you can enjoy breathtaking views of the Park, listen to live music, eat gourmet food from a rotating selection of food trucks (parked on the Plaza de Panama and El Prado walkway), and of course, visit your favorite museums! Some of the participating museums are the Japanese Friendship Garden, Mingei International Museum and San Diego Museum of Man.
Here’s a tip: Seating at the Plaza de Panama is limited, so feel free to bring your own lawn chairs or blankets to sit in the lawn area in front of the Botanical Building to kick back and relax as you eat your delicious food.
Balboa Park was declared a National Historic Landmark, and a National Historic Landmark District in 1977. It has 17 museums and cultural institutions with a magnificently diverse collection – from local San Diego history to the arts, crafts, and culture of people near and far.
While you’re staying seaside at Ocean Park Inn, why not explore the sea? San Diego is known for its beautiful weather, great surfing and natural harbors....
San Diego is America’s Finest City for more than weather and beaches; it is a hub of cultures, people, and new experiences. San Diego’s Little Italy...
Some say La Jolla was derived from the Spanish word La Joya, which means "the jewel." Such wonderful things will certainly surround you if you take a drive...
See where it all began and visit Old Town San Diego! It’s the site of the first permanent Spanish settlement in California, therefore is known to be...
With the sun shining and waves crashing, San Diego is the place to be in the summer. But the fun doesn’t stop at sunset. Experience summer nights in...
Spring is in full force and summer is just around the corner. This is the perfect time to enjoy a nice hike with friends and family before the summer heat...