And away they go! After training all year, the horses are finally coming out of the stables and on to the tracks for Opening Day at Del Mar! The racing season begins Thursday, July 17, 2014, and you won’t want to miss the exciting Opening Day action. Book your reservation for a race-filled getaway at Ocean Park Inn located in Pacific Beach, to experience all that San Diego has to offer.
Saddle up and kick off the start of an amazing racing season. The Del Mar racetrack will be hosting a handful of events on opening day, and the excitement will continue throughout the season. Don’t miss these key events:
Opening Day Events:
- Hat Contest: Starting in the early 1900s, female fashion at horse races included a mass of pastel and spring colored hats and dresses. As the tradition continues, Del Mar racetrack is hosting a hat contest on opening day with chances to win up to $5,000 in prizes. More information about the contest can be found here: http://www.dmtc.com/season/events/index.php?id=2
- Party on Opening Day: Join the ultimate opening day experience! Enjoy food trucks, DJs and a microbrew beer garden. You will have the chance to participate in interactive activities, photo booths and prize giveaways. If you’re a thrill seeker and are ready for a day of fun in the sun click here to purchase your tickets. http://www.dmtc.com/season/events/index.php?id=98
- Newcomers Seminar: Are you not exactly sure how the horse races are conducted? Are you confused about how to bet on a horse when the time comes? Join the newcomer’s seminar to understand the odds, how to manage your money and also learn helpful insider racing tips to be more successful during this racing season.
Events Throughout the Season
- Summer Concert Series: Enjoy a variety of summer concerts at Del Mar’s Thoroughbred club every weekend on Friday and/or Saturday. The warm summer weather makes for an enjoyable evening filled with live bands and nice cold beverages. With the purchase of your track admission you can enjoy a variety of artists all performing on the grounds of the racetrack.
- Family Weekend: Are you trying to come up with something different to do with the family this summer? Consider joining in on the family fun every Saturday and Sunday at the Del Mar Races! Children receive free racetrack admission and adults are only $6. The free activities include a giant scramble slide and obstacle course, inflatable games and rides, the Del Mar Mascot “Pony Boy”, Pony Rides, magic shows & game zone, jockey stilt walkers and face painters. So pack your cars and head over to enjoy a day full of activities with your family.
- San Diego Beer Festival: Join the Del Mar Race Track for San Diego Beer Fest on Saturday July 26th. Tickets will go on sale at 1:00 p.m. the day of the event. Sample five 7oz tastings for $18 and have the chance to talk to brewery representatives and check out brewery merchandise. Don’t miss out on this event!
- Day Break at Del Mar: Come join the Del Mar racing team for breakfast while watching the team’s morning workouts. The Clubhouse Terrance Restaurant will serve breakfast from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. Enjoy delicious breakfast sandwiches, oatmeal, fruit, and other items all while learning racing tips and more about the notable workers on the track.
After enjoying a day under the sun packed with horse racing festivities, the last thing you’ll want to do is sit in traffic. So whether you are just joining the races for opening day or are making this a weekend long vacation, be sure to book your hotel reservations at Ocean Park Inn. This affordable beachfront boutique hotel sits 20 minutes from the racetracks in the heart of Pacific Beach. With a view of the ocean and a location just steps away from restaurants and shops, you’ll be sure to find something to do that fits your family’s needs!
Call 858-483-5858 or visit oceanparkinn.com to complete your reservations.
The Fourth of July is one of Americans’ favorite holidays, especially out here in San Diego! At OPI, we love hosting tourists and locals alike as they celebrate patriotism in sunny San Diego. This year, we want to help you find an unforgettable way to spend the Fourth. While there are countless options, here’s a short list of our favorite San Diegan activities to partake in on July 4th:
For the early-bird athletes out there:
Want to get an early start and keep up your workout regimen before you indulge in the BBQs and party food? Look no further than the 4th of July Celebration in Coronado. Kick off your Fourth at the 5 AM parade, then start your active morning at the 7 AM Annual Independence Day 15K Run/Walk at Tidelands Park. Having too much fun to leave? Stay all day to enjoy an art walk, a live concert and more.
Get the fun started at the fair:
The San Diego Fair at the Del Mar Fairgrounds will be hosting a patriotic opening ceremony at 9:30 AM for Independence Day. The fair’s gates will open at 10 AM with plenty of rides, games, exhibits, concerts, food vendors and more entertainment to keep you busy and having fun all day long. The fair even stays open until midnight just for the holiday!
For the history buffs:
Check out San Diego’s Maritime Museum for a general admission pass, which gets you access to three different world-class ships. Learn about the mind-blowing history attached to these ships, then enjoy a celebratory picnic dinner and fireworks cruise. Tickets are only $35 for adults and $18 for children 3-12 years old.
Last, but not least…watch the fireworks!
No matter where you are in San Diego, there is bound to be a fireworks display close to you. Enjoy this timeless 4th of July tradition in East County, the South Bay, North County or Coronado, all of which host their own firework shows. The biggest shows, which happen to be closest to your beach accommodations at the Ocean Park Inn, are the Annual Bay Boom along San Diego Bay, the SeaWorld Sea to Shining Sea show, the Ocean Beach Pier show and the Old Town 4th of July show. There are countless places to enjoy this quintessential Fourth of July activity!
Don’t forget to plan ahead…
On these fun and crazy holidays, the last thing you’ll want to do is worry about heavy traffic driving from place to place. Stay in the heart of it all in an affordable, boutique hotel! Enjoy low prices and great views of our beautiful city from your balcony at Ocean Park Inn. Call 858-483-5858 now or go to our website to make your reservations!
It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas… in Balboa Park that is!
Starting December 6th, San Diego’s Balboa Park will transform into a winter wonderland as the streets fill up with one-of-a-kind vendors, entertainment and 30,000 guests eager to enjoy this annual festival.
Coming into its 35th consecutive year, the December Nights festival will feature free admission from participating museums throughout the park. Activities range from the Annual holiday puppet tradition of “A Christmas Carol” at the Marie Hitchcock Puppet Theater, or to a few amazing excerpts of the San Diego Civic Youth Ballet’s The Nutcracker. Or choose to take advantage of the Art Institute’s annual C-Note sale with original art works sold right off the walls for one $100, $200 or $300. You can even bring your family to the San Diego Zoo for an unbelievable aerial view of the city from the San Diego Zoo’s Skyfari!
Are you a beer lover? Stroll through the new BEERology exhibit at the San Diego Museum of Man, or enjoy the beer gardens and live entertainment at the Air & Space Museum. The possibilities are endless—and it’s all surrounded by holiday cheer! For a complete list of available activities, please click here.
Just a short drive from Balboa Park, let Ocean Park Inn serve as your perfect beach getaway for this Christmas celebration. Take a break from your hectic holiday schedule as you relax to the soothing sounds of the ocean from your room. Whether you’re visiting with your hubby for a romantic holiday getaway or with the entire family for an exciting Christmas vacation, let Ocean Park Inn accommodate you during this festive winter season.
Friday, Dec. 6, 3-11pm
Saturday, Dec. 7 12-11pm.
The Old Globe Theatre is set to kick off the 2013 holiday season with a top-notch stage production of Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas. San Diegans take their Seuss seriously, which is why this whimsical musical is returning for its 16th year. Featuring familiar favorites like “This Time of Year,” “Santa for a Day” and “Fah Who Doraze,” this musical is ideal for families and all ages. Transport yourself to snow-covered Whoville for a night of singing and laughter for all!
The Old Globe Theatre location is a reason in itself to attend this musical event. With a perfect rating of 5 on TripAdvisor, travelers from all over the world recommend this venue as one of the top three must-see attractions in San Diego. Built in 1935 for the intended purpose of presenting abridged versions of Shakespeare’s plays, “The Old Globe has [since] been home to the most acclaimed national artists, designers, directors and playwrights in the theatre industry” (theoldglobe.com). More than twenty productions produced at The Old Globe have gone on to play on and off-Broadway! The Globe is one of San Diego’s largest arts institutions, its leading arts employer, and among the nation’s top-ranked regional theatres.
The Old Globe is located in the heart of Balboa Park, where your family will be able to enjoy the sights and sounds of the beautiful holiday décor throughout the holiday season. Turn your musical night into a jam-packed holiday extravaganza by attending Balboa Park December Nights Holiday Festival, where participating Balboa Park museums will open their doors free of charge!
11 a.m. matinee performances are open to ALL AGES.
Everyone must have a ticket. Children under age 3 will not be
admitted except during 11 a.m. performances.
Where: The Old Globe Theatre, 1363 Old Globe Way, San Diego, CA 92101
When: November 16, 2013 – December 28, 2013.
San Diego Beer Week (Nov. 1-10)
Beer lovers unite! San Diego Beer Week 2013 (SDBW) is gearing up to wow you from November 1-10. The weeklong celebration kicks off with a two-day “San Diego Brewers Guild Festival” at the Port Pavilion on Broadway Pier in downtown. This official kick-off event will provide samples from 50+ craft breweries from around the U.S. On Friday, November 1st, guests will get to talk one-on-one with award-winning brewers and learn how San Diego is quickly becoming one of the top cities in the country to find delicious craft beer. Taste some of San Diego’s “finest, rare and specialty beers from local breweries, including offerings brewed just for this event” (sdbw.org). Make sure to come thirsty on Saturday, when festival patrons will get to enjoy fifteen 3 oz. tastings from a commemorative tasting glass. You may be tempted to fill up on beer, but you won’t want to miss out on the gourmet food trucks that will be around to serve delicious eats! Tickets for the San Diego Brewers Guild Festival can be purchased here.
As the week progresses you’ll have the opportunity to attend several (or all!) of the 140+ events taking place in honor of craft beer. All over San Diego, beer connoisseurs will get to choose from beer dinners, cheese pairings, brew tours, rare cask tastings, and more! Stone Brewing Co.’s “Rare Beer Breakfast” caught our eye, and includes 15 beer samples as well as all you can eat beer battered Monte Cristos, Belgian waffles and fried chicken. Another exciting option will be Green Flash’s “Bikes, Brews and Brats,” which includes a mountain bike ride from Cal Coast Cycles to the Regal Beagle via a scenic route through Balboa Park. Tickets include a jersey, Green Flash brew and a Regal Beagle brat. For a complete list of SDBW events, please click here.
What better way to wash the week down than with a beer garden celebration? On Sunday, November 10th, the Arroyo Terrace of the Lodge at Torrey Pines will host the closing beer garden from 12pm to 3pm. Featuring 24 of San Diego’s best breweries and 12 amazing chefs, this event provides delicious pairings that will leave you wishing it was beer week all year long. We can dream!
Have Ocean Park Inn be your oceanfront oasis during your craft beer adventure. Right now, book an oceanfront room for only $169, an unbeatable price right in the heart of Pacific Beach. Sipping on your favorite brew just isn’t the same without an oceanfront view! Sit back, sip, relax. Book online now.
Check out last year’s event for a taste of what’s in store this November 1st-10th!