And away they go! After training all year, the horses are finally coming out of the stables and on to the tracks for Opening Day at Del Mar! The racing season begins Thursday, July 17, 2014, and you won’t want to miss the exciting Opening Day action. Book your reservation for a race-filled getaway at Ocean Park Inn located in Pacific Beach, to experience all that San Diego has to offer.
Saddle up and kick off the start of an amazing racing season. The Del Mar racetrack will be hosting a handful of events on opening day, and the excitement will continue throughout the season. Don’t miss these key events:
Opening Day Events:
- Hat Contest: Starting in the early 1900s, female fashion at horse races included a mass of pastel and spring colored hats and dresses. As the tradition continues, Del Mar racetrack is hosting a hat contest on opening day with chances to win up to $5,000 in prizes. More information about the contest can be found here: http://www.dmtc.com/season/events/index.php?id=2
- Party on Opening Day: Join the ultimate opening day experience! Enjoy food trucks, DJs and a microbrew beer garden. You will have the chance to participate in interactive activities, photo booths and prize giveaways. If you’re a thrill seeker and are ready for a day of fun in the sun click here to purchase your tickets. http://www.dmtc.com/season/events/index.php?id=98
- Newcomers Seminar: Are you not exactly sure how the horse races are conducted? Are you confused about how to bet on a horse when the time comes? Join the newcomer’s seminar to understand the odds, how to manage your money and also learn helpful insider racing tips to be more successful during this racing season.
Events Throughout the Season
- Summer Concert Series: Enjoy a variety of summer concerts at Del Mar’s Thoroughbred club every weekend on Friday and/or Saturday. The warm summer weather makes for an enjoyable evening filled with live bands and nice cold beverages. With the purchase of your track admission you can enjoy a variety of artists all performing on the grounds of the racetrack.
- Family Weekend: Are you trying to come up with something different to do with the family this summer? Consider joining in on the family fun every Saturday and Sunday at the Del Mar Races! Children receive free racetrack admission and adults are only $6. The free activities include a giant scramble slide and obstacle course, inflatable games and rides, the Del Mar Mascot “Pony Boy”, Pony Rides, magic shows & game zone, jockey stilt walkers and face painters. So pack your cars and head over to enjoy a day full of activities with your family.
- San Diego Beer Festival: Join the Del Mar Race Track for San Diego Beer Fest on Saturday July 26th. Tickets will go on sale at 1:00 p.m. the day of the event. Sample five 7oz tastings for $18 and have the chance to talk to brewery representatives and check out brewery merchandise. Don’t miss out on this event!
- Day Break at Del Mar: Come join the Del Mar racing team for breakfast while watching the team’s morning workouts. The Clubhouse Terrance Restaurant will serve breakfast from 7:30 to 9:30 a.m. Enjoy delicious breakfast sandwiches, oatmeal, fruit, and other items all while learning racing tips and more about the notable workers on the track.
After enjoying a day under the sun packed with horse racing festivities, the last thing you’ll want to do is sit in traffic. So whether you are just joining the races for opening day or are making this a weekend long vacation, be sure to book your hotel reservations at Ocean Park Inn. This affordable beachfront boutique hotel sits 20 minutes from the racetracks in the heart of Pacific Beach. With a view of the ocean and a location just steps away from restaurants and shops, you’ll be sure to find something to do that fits your family’s needs!
Call 858-483-5858 or visit oceanparkinn.com to complete your reservations.